Josiah CARTER was a coal miner in Clutton, Somerset, England, before becoming the parish clerk (and teacher of the local school). Eventually he returned to coal mining, first in Wales and later back in Somerset. He married first Rebecca PERRY and later her sister Hannah.
His son, Joseph, moved to near Wigan, Lancashire, where he lodged with James CHIVERS, both working in the coal mines. Joseph CARTER married Mary ASPINAL (nee WARDLE) in 1853. Soon after their son Edward was born, they migrated to the goldfields of Beaufort, Victoria, Australia, where Joseph worked as a miner until his death at Waterloo, near Beaufort.
Edward was a wheelwright at Beaufort when he married Sarah Ann MOORE. They had the following children:
- Millicent CARTER who married Henry James BOND
- Albert Joseph Ronald CARTER, who married Carol Priscilla SCHLUBBS, and moved to Kalgoorlie
- Jane Edith CARTER who married Algernon Lester FRANKLAND
- Edward Percival CARTER who married Mildred Anne ORFORD
- Winifred Mary CARTER who married James LIDDY
- Ethel May CARTER who married Walter TRAYNOR