Samuel ETHERINGTON (or sometimes HETHERINGTON) was born in Southwark just south of London, England, in 1822 to parents Joseph and Hetty (nee HOLMES). Samuel migrated to Australia, where he lived under the name of Samuel HOLMES with Hester HOLMES, working as a baker, and had 6 children with the surname HOLMES. (His oldest son, Henry Samuel HOLMES, married first to Eliza Jane BYRNE, and then after her death, Henry married to her sister Laura Kate BYRNE).
In 1850 Samuel visited his family in London, and after that returned to Sydney where he met Sarah EVERITT (or EVERETT). This time using the surname Samuel ETHERINGTON, he worked as a carpenter and builder. With Sarah EVERITT he had 8 children with the surname ETHERINGTON.
About 1883 Samuel left Sarah and after living some years at Mt Victoria (under the name of Samuel HOLMES) he moved to Bombala with his oldest son, Henry HOLMES.
Samuel and Sarah (EVERITT) had the following children:
- Samuel Joseph ETHERINGTON who married Henrietta MERRICK
- Emmeline Emily ETHERINGTON who married Ernest BURMAN
- John Henry ETHERINGTON who married Wilhelmina McGREGOR
- Harriet Martha ETHERINGTON who married William GRACE
- William Edward ETHERINGTON who married Annie McNEILL
- Alfred Henry ETHERINGTON
- Arthur Melnott ETHERINGTON who married Annie CRUMMIE
- Frederick Charles ETHERINGTON who married Ettie GOWAN
In searching for this family, I have been collecting information about other ETHERINGTON families, and would be interested in any further ETHERINGTON information.