Our SCRIVEN ancestors were living in the Melcombe Regis and Weymouth area of Dorset (England) in the early 18th century. Many of the men were sailors, although several were surgeons and clergymen.
Timothy SCRIVEN married Catherine BATTER in 1746 in Wyke Regis. They had daughters Rachel and Catherine. After the death of his first wife, Timothy remarried, this time to Martha COUSENS, and they had sons Timothy and Samuel.
Son Samuel SCRIVEN married Sarah HUTCHING and had the following children:
- Timothy SCRIVEN (later Captain Timothy SCRIVEN), who married Sophia CUDDEMORE
- Sarah Hutchings SCRIVEN, who married Thomas SWAIN
- Samuel SCRIVEN, who died young
- John Hutching SCRIVEN
After the death of his wife Sarah, Samuel married again, this time to Elizabeth SWAIN. They had children:
- Thomas Swain SCRIVEN, a Naval Lieutenant, who married Sarah Mary SCOTT
- Martha SCRIVEN, who married Reverend Charles EVANS and migrated to USA
- Elizabeth SCRIVEN, who married Reverend Phil SAFFREY
- Samuel SCRIVEN, a surgeon, who married Caroline
- Emma SCRIVEN
- George Swain SCRIVEN, who migrated to USA and married Ellen ROTTON
Some descendants of Timothy and also of George migrated to Australia.